“Power will go to the hands of rascals, rogues, freebooters; all Indian leaders will be of low calibre & men of straw. They will have sweet tongues and silly hearts. They will fight amongst themselves for power and India will be lost in political squabbles. A day would come when even air and water would be taxed in India.”
Sir Winston Churchill wrote this to Ghanshyam Das Birla, a Gandhi supporter who had lunched with Churchill at Chartwell. When Birla repeated the conversation Gandhi replied: “I have got a good recollection of Mr. Churchill when he was in the Colonial Office and somehow or other since then I have held the opinion that I can always rely on his sympathy and goodwill.”
Now almost 72 yrs later , indians are trying their best to PROVE HIM RIGHT. Indian politicians , may it be Sonia Gandhi or Prakash Singh Badal (CM Punjab), almost every leader in today’s indian parliament is Corrupt !.
Below are Real Life Examples which prove that Churchill was so Right about India in 1955
More than 95% of Indian politicians are Corrupt.
Let me tell you some points about corruption in India.
- There are almost 80 percent politicians are corrupt. As of December 2009, 120 of India’s 524 parliament members are accused of crimes.Many of the biggest scandals since 2010have involved high level government officials, including Cabinet Ministers and Chief Ministers, such as the (₹70,000 crore (US$9.7 billion)), the , the (₹1.86 lakh crore(US$26 billion)), the and the .
- Indian beaurocracy is also corrupt.
- Indian officials took high bribes by local people ( Aam aadmi) even for little works. Officials are alleged to steal state property.
- Tendering processes and awarding contracts are full of corruption.
- The World Bank study finds that the public distribution programmes and social spending contracts have proven to be a waste due to corruption.
- In Government Hospitals, corruption is associated with non-availability/duplication of medicines, obtaining admission, consultations with doctors and receiving diagnostic services.
- There have been several cases of collusion involving officials of the for preferential tax treatment and relaxed prosecutions in exchange for bribes.
- A study conducted between 2004 and 2005 found that India’s driver licensing procedure was a hugely distorted bureaucratic process .
- Much of Indian black money is in Switzerland.India was ranked 38th by money held by its citizens in Swiss banks in 2004 but then improved its ranking by slipping to 61st position in 2015 and further improved its position by slipping to 75th position in 2016.
- Axis Bank – Income Tax officials raided multiple branches of Axis Bank and found bank officials involved in acts of money laundering.
Many more such Industries, officials and politicians are highly indulge in corruption.
Not only corruption has held the economy back from reaching new heights, but rampant corruption has stunted the country’s development.